7dfps 2013: Raycaster update

Progress on my raycaster for the first few days of the 7dfps challenge was really good. The geometry renderer was a ton of fun to work on and came together nicely. I played around with shaders for the first time ever and added a cool pulsation to the saturation of the colors that felt great, and Chris made a great background track that exactly fit the fast-paced arcade-style action we were envisioning. Everything seemed to be on track.

By the final day of the competition I had spent three days struggling with the math behind adding sprite rendering so my maps could contain objects besides wall cubes, and there was no way I was going to finish the project on time. Without support in the engine for multiple wall textures or world objects, there was really no possibility of making an actual game. Despite this, I’m still happy with the way the week turned out. I didn’t even start until almost two days after the challenge began, and I got my first taste of 3d programming. It was a lot of fun, and I’ve been working on the engine on and off ever since with the idea of using it in some future game jam or next year’s 7dfps.


An interesting glitch from when I was trying to add support for multiple wall textures.



Early sprite rendering.



In order to allow walls to occlude sprites, they have to be drawn one column at a time after doing a depth test to see if a wall has been drawn closer to the camera. Something went wrong here.



This is a little better; the portions of each barrel that’s shaded pink is supposed to be skipped due to being behind a wall. It’s not working quite right yet though.


The last image shows my current progress. There’s still a long way to go before it’s feature-complete, but I’ll be shifting my attention off of this for a while to focus on my other projects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *