fire

Hypothermia — Experimental Gameplay challenge

Update: Hypothermia is now available on itch.io!

For the last few days I’ve been participating in the Experimental Gameplay challenge, a monthly game-making competition. The only rule is that you can only spend a week on your entry, so on December 1st I sat down and started crunching on a game for the chosen theme, “Temperature“. The result is Hypothermia, a first-person point-and-adventure in the style of Templar Studios’ Mata Nui online game. You can download it here.

This is the first game I’ve made that used Slang for scripting. Nearly all gameplay code is written in Slang, and it was incredibly helpful. Instead of making changes in AS3, recompiling the game and testing, I was able to hot-reload script files with FLAKit and see the changes instantly.

In addition, I used Ogmo Editor to set up entities in the scenes. I’ve never used it myself before, and I wish I had started sooner. With the help of the OgmoWorld and XMLEntity classes I wrote, I was able to load entities from Ogmo levels automatically with barely any prep work involved. And, once again, FLAKit’s hot-reloading allowed me to modify the levels and see my changes instantly.

Using Slang and Ogmo together allowed me to use a much more data-oriented approach to development than I’ve been able to in the past. This greatly decreased iteration times and allowed me to get scenes finished faster. In many cases I was able to work on the game for upwards of ten minutes without closing it once.

As usual, I used Flashpunk as a flash framework and Inkscape for graphics. The source code (as well as the original SVGs for all the art assets) can be found on the project repository in Bitbucket.