Meander is getting to a point where everything I anticipated having problems with has been resolved, which is a pretty awesome place to be. A year ago all my projects were dying in infancy due to my lack of programming skills. Now I find myself often without a challenging problem to push through, and subsequently not knowing what to do next. It’s about time I put together an actual list of goals I want to meet so I can call this this project complete.
I’m not including assets in my definition of “complete”. Eventually I’ll have a full complement of images, maps, sounds, in-game items, etc. But to call the Meander engine finished I’ll need to implement the following features:
- Parallax scrolling
- World objects
- Saving and loading gamestate (already implemented to a degree)
- “Doors”, “locks” and “keys”
- Branching dialogue system with drag-and-drop text support
- In-game developer’s console
- Sound spatialization
- Decoupling the navigation mesh from specific window sizes.
As I complete each item I’ll update this post with a link to the post detailing it.